Wednesday, February 16, 2022

Sunday School Lesson- A forensic view: Nathan Confronts David about Bathsheba. Feb 6,2022

Article 1, Volume 13

Sunday School Lesson about David & Bathsheba from a forensic view
 Biblical Reference is 2 Samuel: chapters 11 & 12

The Presentation
This story has been told many times in many different ways about what happened, how it happen, and the consequences.  I listened to or viewed the presentation of at least 4 teachers. They were all in agreement about the consequences.
When you follow the script as outlined in the Sunday School book you don't have enough time to consider too many other matters that might enhance the lesson.  That is okay and acceptable.
The view is like this:  David was on the roof late at night and he saw this naked (assumption) woman bathing, in her back yard.  She was beautiful. He inquired about her and sent for her to visit his palace. She came Then she went back home. After she got home she sent word to David that she was pregnant.  David inquired about her husband, Uriah who was serving in David's army.
I want to point out, that while this drama is unfolding, David already has 6 wives and some children.  Where were they?
I am going to pause here.  I believe you probably know the rest of the story as traditionally taught.  For the rest of the story, I'm going to use some forensic insight study analysis.
First, let me tell you how this forensic analysis approach started with me.  It was many years ago at Mary Estes elementary, a little 4 room school in Suffolk, Virginia that served the three black communities in the nearby area. Most of the children did not have any pre-school training prior to starting school in the primary/first grade combined class. The school had two outdoor toilets and a pump outside for water. The heat was provided by two inside wood/coal heaters. 

**When I was in the first grade, my teacher taught me to keep reading until I saw the Duck.  What she was conveying to me was that I had to keep reading and analyzing until what I was reading was clear in my mind.  I had to be sure that I saw a duck and not a chicken or rooster. Then, when it became clear to me I could tell it over and over with a better understanding.
**writer's metaphor
Continuing the story using forensic analysis insight

We know that Bathsheba went to David's palace after he sent for her. But apparently, it was not the same night. Look, he had to gather some information about her. So, when she did come, apparently they spent some time talking and getting to know each other.  I'm not convinced that she did not know he was on the roof looking at her.  So, she cunningly took her time doing what she was doing. She may have spotted David on the roof prior to that night. 
How long did she stay?  The Bible does not say. It could have been a day or maybe even a month.
However, after her stay she went back home.  It was, most likely, at least 5 weeks before she informed him she was pregnant.  See, it takes time for women to be certain.  Immediately, the idea was brought forth to bring her husband home from the war.  Was it David's idea or Bathshea's?  (I am aware of at least 5 similar situations, and in each case, the plan was executed by the woman. My awareness may be based on something I read).
David arranged for Uriah to come home from the war and spend some time with his wife. Uriah came home but he surprised David.  He did not spend any time with his wife.  Wonder why?  
( To be continued on Friday, February 18, 2022)


Copyright (c) 2022. Grady E. Bryant, Sr. All Rights Reserved.





 







Disclaimer: The news and views expressed on this site are strictly those of Grady Bryant, obtained from information made available to the general public through bulletins, public events, announcements, and services that were open to the general public. This website is not officially endorsed by Warner Baptist Church.

No comments: